1. knitting needles. like Nonny’s. they brings me comfort like she did, too.
2. this wave shaped rock from Aunt Liz’s river in Humbolt (it’s really heavy. Scott lugged it all the way home).
3. these surfboards have their own stories
4. the lettuce and peppers have enjoyed the January sun lately
5. I love the way this little blue mason jar candle holder from my sister-in-law Kristen looks in the light
6. the oranges are from our stockings. the lemons and lime are from our trees. this table is from our wedding. this box was my mom’s when she was little. this starfish was the ocean’s.
7. my socks never get clean. I’m always wearing them in places I shouldn’t be.
8. dragon, minkey, dolly. I take them sailing with me every time. dragon is always in my travel carry on. In case anything goes wrong.
It’s been so hot around here lately, all I can think about is lemonade. That desire feels out of place this time of year like thinking about Christmas in July, but still, it’s there.
The other thing on my mind is cleaning.
I don’t know if it’s the new year, or that the holidays chased the tidiness right out of this little house, but I’ve wanted to clean everything since we got back; to put my hands on each piece as if to make it mine again. As if when we were gone or busy it began to belong to the dust and spiders instead.
This got me thinking about how things live here with us too and that they help make this place home. It made me want to take their picture.
I know life’s more about people than things, but sometimes our lives become intertwined with things too.
What are some of the objects that make your house home?
Taking pictures of all of these objects made me think of one of my favorite music videos (and songs), Naked as We Came by Iron and Wine. Have you seen it?
Like it? Share it!